Screen Composer Academy Announces Summer Program for Film and Game Composers
This course presents an innovative and contemporary approach to educating and equipping composers for scoring the visual medium through lectures from industry professionals, one-to-one mentoring, musician workshops and live recording sessions.
Taking place from July 3rd – 26th 2022 in Athens, Greece, this resident based programme will be hosted by Emmy award-winning composer Richard Bellis and features guest lecturers; Garry Schyman (composer of the Bioshock game), Miriam Cutler (composer of the documentary RGB), Jeff Atmajian (orchestrator of the film Joker), and George Christopoulos from Oticons Film Music Agency. The three and a half week course will consist of:
- Daily lectures 10am – 4pm
- Orchestration and instrumentation classes with musician workshops
- Midi mock-ups, recording, mixing and one-to-one music technology mentoring
- One-to-one review of scores with guest lecturers
- An 18 string ensemble recording session for a game cue focussing on gaming interactive compositional approaches
- A 34 piece orchestra and 20 piece choir recording session for a film cue
- A welcome reception, day tour to the Acropolis in Athens and farewell dinner
- Certificate of completion recognised by Pulse College for their entry to the newly launched MA in Scoring for Film, TV and Interactive Media
The intensive program will present and provide learners with the practical, creative, conceptual ideas and fundamental techniques of successfully composing a score for the screen. It explores the workflows of the media composer, communicating narrative through music, working under budgetary constraints, contracts and music business, and producing professional portfolio works.
This program is the perfect starting point for musicians and composers who want to explore composing for film, game, TV and other visual media. With a dedicated staff of lecturers and tutors ready to pass on their expertise, Screen Composer Academy ‘s summer program is the perfect place to take a step towards a career in one of the most exciting and innovative industries.
“ This is a wonderful opportunity for aspiring and early career composers to gain experience and knowledge from some of the best composers in the industry. Our course differs in that we aim to provide one-to-one tutoring and mentoring to students in addition to lectures to help meet their individual needs. Students will not only gain the skills necessary to score the visual medium, but also be guided in the music business and networking aspects of the profession. In addition to the learning experience, each composer will be introduced to the fundamentals of hybrid scores and leave with a professional portfolio piece.” Natasa Paulberg and Vasilis Milesis, Executive Directors
For full details visit: www.screencomposeracademy.com